They can affect babies by the age of 9 months.
What are nocturnal terrors?
A micro-wake during quiet sleep which manifests itself by screams, tears, the child can also thrash around and if he speaks his words are often incoherent.
This can last between 2 and 30 minutes.
The child has no conscience nor of his environment nor of the reason for which he is in this state. In fact this type of behavior can be compared to sleep walking in the way that the individual has no recollection of his doing if he is not woken up.
Who is exposed ?
- Agitated or exhausted children.
- Between 5 and 15% of children between 3 and 6 years old.
- Children between 3 and 5 years old because having stopped napping they are usually more tired at night.
3 reactions when facing nocturnal terrors
- Offer a bottle, a pacifier, or anything you know will get your child back to sleep quickly.
- Take him to another room, lights dimmed, and with a cooler temperature so that the child may wake up gently hence losing his fright
- Sit next to him and wait for it to pass.