This is utterly normal, every child, at least during the first three months, does not know how to calm themselves down in order to fall asleep and the arms of a parent procure warmth and security that they do not find in a crib.
If you fear your baby might develop a dependency, which is probable although not highly dramatic, you can, as of now, apply a little trick suggested by Dr Harvey KARP to teach your baby to calm itself down and fall asleep in his first few months.
« The Wake and Sleep technique »
1. Feed your baby ;
2. Turn on a « white noise » ;
3. Wrap him up ;
4. Make him fall asleep in your arms just the way he likes it ;
5. Once asleep, put him delicately in his crib ;
6. Wake him up just enough for him to open his eyes by gently shaking him;
7. Wait a few seconds for him to fall back asleep on his own;
8. Otherwise rock him with your hand a brief moment or pat on his belly
9. The trick is not about letting him cry. If he does not calm down take him back;
10. Make him fall back asleep in your arms;
11. Start again from step 5 until the baby falls asleep on its own;
As all matters of education it may take some time and practice and demand patience on your end.
To my dear friend Anaïs and her son Corentin.